Saturday, March 8, 2008

Savannah Georgia

When I arrived, I could hardly stand it. I was so excited to see Zac for the first time in two months. But, I had a entire day and a half before I would even see him. Jamie (my travel buddy) and I picked up our rental cars, made a trip to Walmart and got I some of Zac's favorite snacks to make an Easter basket for him, found a liquor store to buy some Miller Lite, and a cigar shop to get him a few cigars. That didnt take up nearly enough time.....The next day, we headed to Fort Stewart, just to look around, and find our way for the ceremony the next day. I wanted to hurry and go to bed early (and try to sleep) to make Saturday come even quicker. When I woke up, I got ready so quick, I had time to waste, go figure....Got to the ceremony early, too early. There were soldiers everywhere. Fat chance I was going to find Zac..........The ceremony started, we stayed back away from the bleachers, and sat on a parking curb. A Savannah news reporter started talking to us, and took us in front of the bleachers where the media/ reporters were. We were front row for the ceremony. Still couldnt see Zac though =( At the end of the ceremony, all of the soldiers marched around the field and saluted the 4 star general (which we JUST HAPPENED to be standing by) When the 1-293rd marched by, I was desperately hoping to get a first glance at Zac in 2 months. (This was when the Journal Gazette reported was writing down what I said, I HAD NO IDEA THAT SHE WAS!!!) But, no luck- I didnt see Zac, BUT later when I talked to him, HE SAW ME!!!!!! =) How cool!!??! We had time to kill (again) before we would finally be reunited with our soldiers. They had to turn in their sensitive materials (weapons, night vision etc) and everything had to be accounted for. His platoon was of course one of the last to be released GO FIGURE. When they were finally released, he called and asked where I was. I said I told him where I was and that I was jumping up and down waving my arms- basically making as big of a fool out of myself as I possibly could. He said he saw me and then he hung up the phone. I was going crazy looking all over for him. FINALLY I saw him in the distance. In uniform, looking just like the other thousands of soldiers there. But I knew him by his walk. Is that love or what!? I took off running to him. Not toofast though, because Jamie was my camera woman, capturing our reunion! I LOVE these pictures!




And then he twirled me!!! WEEE!!!!




And now, my NEW favorite picture of us....

One of the first things I noticed was how much weight he lost. You wont believe it. But he brought up a good point....what do you expect with sometimes just one meal a day, and a few hours of sleep?
We had a wonderful few days together. It was over way too fast. =(

Everything I felt is too deep to write about. I wouldnt even know how to put it into words. I am actually still working on writing everything about Sery. So maybe in time I will be able to write what it was like to say "good-bye" to Zac. We wouldnt say good bye to each other, we would say "See you soon." I still cry everyday. I think my face and eyes are going to permanently stay red and splotchy.

Here are a couple of home videos we took with my camera. This is within minutes from leaving the hotel to take him back to the base. I cry every time I watch them. I should probably stop watching them.





It beaks my heart when he apologizes for leaving....as much as I dont want him to go, I am so incredibly proud of him.
These were the last pictures we took before he reported back. (see what I mean about my red eyes and my splotchiness?)


My most favorite picture of Zac.......


Zac said he didnt want to walk away, and me have to watch him walk away......So he wanted me to get into the car and drive way. What the difference is/ was, I still dont know. It was just as hard to have to drive away as it would have been to watch him walk away. When I "drove away" I had my window down, and was driving along side of him. I couldnt do it. I just couldnt. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. That, and leave Sery at the cemetery, and walk away. Why is it that I keep having to walk away from the people I love most in the world?
But, Zac will be home soon, and all will be better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH Wow! Here I sit reading and watching the videos over and over again, And the tears run down my face. He is such a GREAT Man, Husband, Father, Son, Son-in-Law, Brother, Nephew, Uncle and Friend. And Most of all he is a USA Soldier. He is OUR Hero and I am yelling it to the world!! ZAC HACKETT is MY HERO!!! You know Lindsay walking away from a lost loved one is Hard, Very hard! I know the feeling, The empty hole you feel. BUT, Zac is Not leaving us... OH, heck NO! He is with us always. His smile, his laugh, his bright eyes and gentle touch is always with us. Just look inside you heart and your soul and He is there. And He is right, He will be back before we all know it and what a Party we will all have!!! He as well as U are so in my thoughts today... And as for everyday you both are. You better know that! And Hey Thank You so much for coming last night. I am so happy You did, You are Family and U and Alisha are my daughters I never had. I love You Lindsay, and Zac!! BIG HUG xoxoxo Aunt Sheryl

Heather Aguirre said...

I am so proud of Zac!! I love who he is, and who you are and who you've made each other. You both will be strong because you have people who love you and who are always here for you!! Me and the boys miss him like crazy!! They think their Uncle Zac is the coolest. We have a stack of drawings to send to him! Love you both!!
Heather

Anne & Noah said...

Oh Linds . . .thanks so much for sharing those photos. I'm sitting here at work (Michelle's house) and, of course, I'm sitting here crying as I read your entry and view the photos. Michelle keeps saying to me, "Hey Anne! What's the matter???" Oh, she's soo sweet! Anyway, love reading your entries and love seeing pics of the two of you. Zac looks so good, and you too! You're eyes are sooo blue! I'm so proud of him. When I tell people about him I just refer to him as my "nephew" . . not "nephew-in-law" b/c I'm so darn proud of him!Stay strong Linds. Send Zac our love! You are so darn pretty, even if your eyes are red and blotchy!! Can't you EVER look bad????? Love, Aunt Anne and Noah