Friday, April 18, 2008

Grim Reapers

Nightfighter Family,

I hope all is well with everyone! It is 2340 (1140 PM) here and I am sorting through emails and work keeping track of our operations. We continue to stay busy as many of you probably know a lot of our soldiers are becoming nocturnal. The majority of what we do is at night so all of us are learning to adjust our hours, I think most people are adjusting pretty well. Everyone continues to be all okay over here. I wanted to let you know we did have a vehicle in Team Echo hit this week with a road side explosive. EVERYONE is FINE the vehicle is repaired and the guys are ready to get back on the road. Remember I do not give you specifics of what is happening over here because it is dangerous for our soldiers. Just know we are taking care of each other and growing more as a team each day. I went out two nights ago with the "Grim Reapers" of Team Foxtrot (they made up the call sign not me). The professionalism and focus on the mission was incredible, they looked like seasoned combat veterans throughout the mission. While this job does have its risk, when it is well planned out and rehearsed the execution normally goes well...we continue to get better every day, which is all I can ask.

I did get to do some fun "commander" things this week. I awarded three army achievement medals to Team Echo soldiers for locating an explosive before it located us out on the road. I also reenlisted SGT Kelly Sparks for six more years. The soldiers that are reenlisting while deployed will receive any bonus money tax free, which is nice.

I know you would like for me to provide more details of what we are doing but operational security does not allow me to. I will keep my promise to let you know as soon as I can if we have something happen, like the road side event with Team Echo. Remember we are moving in well maintained heavily armored vehicles that provide a good level of protection. We will keep training every day to get better, me and the CSM will not allow complacency and I am sure it will not be an issue with this bunch of soldiers. As always I could not be more proud of them and you should be too. No matter what some one's politics are you can't help but be in awe of the service and sacrifice of these outstanding Americans.

Proud to Serve,

LTC Jerry Hadley
Nightfighter 6

No comments: