Sunday, April 13, 2008

From Anaconda

Nightfighter Family

Well we have officially taken over responsibility for the mission we have been training so hard and so long for, and I can tell you I think everyone is relieved.­ Yesterday we conducted the Transfer of Authority Ceremony with the outgoing unit.­ During the ceremony the Battalion Colors (flag) of the outgoing unit is rolled up (cased) and the colors of the incoming unit (us) was uncased signifying that we now are in charge of the mission.­ It was a proud moment uncasing the colors and looking at the many battle streamers representing the conflicts this unit's previous soldiers have fought in.­ For those of you that do not know our history it is traced back to the Mexican War in 1846.­ We also have battle streamers from the Civil War, WWI, WWII and of course Operation Iraqi Freedom.­ We are now writing another chapter in the proud history of the Nightfighter Battalion and our soldiers are once again setting the standard for others to follow.­ As I have told you many times I know I am a lucky man getting to command such an outstanding group of citizen soldiers.­ Our missions continue to go well, every mission we complete we are learning and getting better.­ Every night we talk about what is going well and not so well with all the commanders so we can ensure we get better each day.­ Myself and CSM Cox have both been out a few times (never together, that would drive people crazy) and we both are seeing our young NCOs and officers "growing up" very quickly.­ It is amazing how much responsibility they have and how well they handle it.­ You can see the bonds growing stronger daily through the long hours of preparation and the teamwork needed to execute our missions.­ Most soldiers continue to average 14-­16 hour days which leaves little time for much other than sleeping, eating and a little PT (physical training).­ Any of you who have been reading my messages know, me and the CSM are all about keeping soldiers busy we find it keeps the morale high.­ Which, I can tell you right know it is about as high as I have seen in the 18 months I have been commanding.­ I was out last night with the Delta Company "Dogs" on a mission and those soldiers were motivated and alert from the moment we left the motor pool until we pulled back in the following morning.­

Well now that I have my office up and running I will try to send these notes once to twice a week.­ I enjoy bragging on our soldiers and I am sure you enjoy hearing about your soldiers.­

As always thanks to the families who support us, it truly makes our job easier.­

Proud to Serve,

LTC Jerry Hadley
Nightfighter 6
"Follow Us"

No comments: